Mar 11, 2021
When Should I Replace Old House Electrical Wiring?
Electrical wiring is nothing to make little of, there are more house fires a year than you would think due to bad or old electrical wiring – around 45,000 a year to be exact. We’ve all learned the importance of proper and up-to-date electrical wiring in our homes, but how do we know exactly when it needs to be replaced?
If you’re into smart home features, or you have large appliances such as a mini-fridge, ice cube maker, or anything similar, your home is more at risk for electrical wiring issues. If you do have those things and you live in an older home, that’s one dead giveaway that you should replace your wiring. It’s important to know when you should completely replace your electrical wiring, and we are going to tell you some of the scenarios when you should replace it. If you read this blog and notice these things happen in your home, call local electricians at HomeOps Electric today – we can help you determine if your wiring needs updating, and we can update it to fit your needs.
5 reasons you should replace your old electrical wiring:
- Your home is older -- This is the most obvious reason you would need to replace your electrical wiring. If you live in a home that’s 30 years or older it’s common that the electrical wiring hasn’t been replaced recently. You should have a HomeOps Electric contractor in Long Island take a look at your current set up and they will let you know if it is time for a replacement.
- You constantly need extensions cords -- If you constantly find yourself needing more and more outlets, your home likely needs an update and some new wiring. In older homes, builders didn’t put as many outlets and switches in homes, meaning you’ll need more if you have a lot of appliances or lights. If you find yourself always putting extension cords in places, it’s time for an update.
- Your lights or dim or flicker -- Appliances that seem to flicker, or light that aren’t as bright anymore are a major red flag when it comes to electrical wiring. If you notice your lights are dimmer than normal or they flicker often, it’s definitely time for an update. This type of dimness or flickering shows that your electrical wiring is older, and it needs some much-needed TLC.
- You constantly trip your breaker -- This is a dead giveaway that your electrical wiring needs an update. You shouldn’t trip your breaker more than a handful of times throughout your life span in your house. If you notice it happening often, this is a clear sign that you need to call an electrical contractor today!
- Your outlets & switches look their age -- Outlets age just like everything else – they show their age as they get older. If your outlets and switches are discolored and look rusted, it’s time for an upgrade. This is one of the biggest fire risks in most homes, and if you notice your outlets look old and gross, they need to be replaced!
- If you notice any of the things above in your home, call an electrical contractor today! Electrical wiring issues are not something to take lightly and if you have any of these issues, you need to get them dressed immediately.
If you’re wondering if you should replace your old electrical wiring and you read this blog and said ‘yup, I have that’, ‘yup I notice that’, then this is your sign to call HomeOps Electric today!