Which Appliances Use the Most Electricity in My Home?
November 26, 2022
Faulty electrical wiring can wreak unimaginable damage to your appliances and home. According to the United States Fire Administration, nearly 24,000 fires in 2019 resulted from electrical malfunctions. If you live in an old house or suspect a problem with your electrical system wiring, it might be time to hire a professional for a comprehensive inspection. HomeOps Electric takes the time to conduct an in-depth assessment and evaluation of your system, alleviating potential risks and hazards. If detected early, most electrical-related issues can be prevented before they become more pronounced. Here are some signs to look out for that indicate it is time to rewire.
One of the most obvious signs your home needs rewiring is a burning smell emanating from an outlet or a plugged-in appliance. The cause usually sparks behind the wall, indicating that the outlet is not safe for use and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. Suppose you plug in an appliance and detect a burning odor. In that case, the first call should be to a reputable electrician to examine your electrical system and recommend repairs or rewiring, depending on the severity of the problem.
When a light bulb flickers or dims, the most probable cause is an improper connection. This can be corrected by readjusting the bulb and ensuring it is appropriately aligned. If this doesn’t work, the circuit is overloaded, and failure to have the problem repaired can lead to damage or a fire. While flickering lights may not raise any cause for concern, you need to rewire your home to mitigate further damage and costly repairs.
Switchplates that change color suddenly is a warning sign of deteriorating electrical wiring. The change in pigment shows that the wiring and plastic connections are overheating, leading to irreversible damage if left unattended. If you cross a discolored switchplate in your home, the safest solution is to hire an electrical maintenance service. We can determine the extent of damage before rewiring to prevent issues such as electrocution or, worse, a fire.
Old homes built in the 1960s and ‘70s used aluminum wires that were less expensive and durable than copper wires. Aluminum expands and contracts when exposed to high temperatures, increasing the rate of deterioration and frequency of wiring issues. If you live in a home built during this era, the wiring can’t withstand the electrical demand of modern appliances. We can rewire your house with durable copper wires, alleviating the inconvenience of dealing with wiring problems when multiple devices are running simultaneously.
Electrocution is another apparent sign of damaged wiring, usually when plugging in an appliance. Electric shocks are generally a result of an improper grounding connection and shouldn’t be ignored, or the injuries can become severe. Whether the shock is mild or not, an electrician should check it out to determine the cause of the problem and recommend a viable solution before someone is severely hurt.
Contact us at HomeOps Electric if you detect any of these signs or suspect a deterioration in your electrical wiring. We provide top-notch electrical services at competitive market rates, guaranteed to improve the quality of your home.